Position Purpose: Assists Railcar Cleaners with all aspects of railcar cleaning. Sets up and operates cleaning equipment, hoses, hand tools, power tools, pumps, sampling devices, measuring devices, protective clothing, and air respirators.
Other work related tasks as assigned.
% Time Spent
1. Railcar Cleaning – always reviews current safety and cleaning procedures.
2. Clerical – ensures that all necessary invoicing, inspection, work order documentation is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely customer billing.
3. Performs cleaning duties to include, but not limited to the following:
· Performs initial sampling, gathering and measurement of the commodity, including initial opening procedures.
· Positions cars to cleaning position.
· Removes all excess commodity from railcars using various tools. Includes handling of drums, and the ability to work in confined spaces using proper protective equipment.
· Hooks up cleaning equipment to the tank cars by means of the manway, vapor return lines, liquid return lines, etc.
· Maintains all of the tools and equipment used in the cleaning process to ensure they are in proper working condition.
· Manually hydro-blasts and cleans areas inside and /or outside of the railcar removing paint, dirt, scale, and other materials in preparation for paint applications.
· Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly manner. Complies with established safety policies, support- continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
Scope of Work: This position will interact with Managers and Production personnel. The primary impact for this position is to clean GATX Fleet prior to repair, while focusing on safety, quality, delivery and cost efficiency.
Education and/or Experience (including certifications):
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order. Select from “key competencies for job descriptions” list:
Effective interpersonal and communications skills
Results Driven and Self – starter
Customer service skills and focus
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
Work Environment: The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in high, precarious places; in outside weather conditions; and with explosives and is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme heat. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information, reach out to DeAnna Pilkington at firstname.lastname@example.org | 812-233-6835
Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Please switch to a different, up-to-date browser to experience more security, speed and best user experience on the site.Okay