Salary and Benefits: $45,000 – $47,000 plus eligibility for a performance bonus and full benefits.
- 34 total paid time off days including vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage starting on first day
- Flexible spending account & health savings account
- 401 (k) matching and pension plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Referral program
- Paid parental leave for both parents, including adoption and foster care
- Yearly salary reviews
Position Purpose: Assists Railcar Mechanic in all aspects of repairing GATX owned railcars, while also learning more advanced skills. Accurately completes required documentation directly related to repairs performed. Reads blueprints, schematics, and interchange rules outlined in MSRP and Field Manual of the AAR Interchange Rules.
What will you be doing?
Assists Railcar Mechanic in all aspects of repairing GATX owned railcars, while also learning more advanced skills. Accurately completes required documentation directly related to repairs performed. Reads blueprints, schematics, and interchange rules outlined in MSRP and Field Manual of the AAR Interchange Rules.
The Apprentice Railcar Mechanic must become proficient in and knowledgeable about railcar repair responsibilities, further developing railcar repair skills by learning from experienced Railcar Mechanics and Sr. Railcar Mechanics.
- Provides assistance to Railcar Mechanic in performing all aspects of Railcar repair as required to meet regulatory, quality and shop production needs. To include, but not limited to the following:
- Follows all company safety rules and procedures.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces, welds, burns, fits, tacks as necessary to complete repairs. (Splices, patches, shims cracks, etc.).
- Welds ferrous (TC 128 materials) and non-ferrous materials in multiple positions for both fillet and groove welds.
- Finishes weld by removing slag and grinding when necessary.
- Performs Oxy-Fuel and Plasma cutting processes.
- Jacks car to remove/replace/disassemble/assemble trucks to repair or gain access to parts needing repair.
- Removes, replaces, straightens, renews or repairs various car parts such as couplers, gears, center-sills, safety appliances, insulation, jackets, running boards, etc. as required to achieve proper repairs.
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner. Complies with the established safety policies and awareness for safety, and when possible recommends specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- Ensures quality of work performed meets AAR, FRA, GATX and customer guidelines.
- Completes daily work orders.
- Ensures that all necessary forms, systems and work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely reporting.
- Works toward NDT Certifications as required prior to and after repair and as needed to assist with pre-work/inspection activities.
- Other tasks as assigned.
What is required of you?
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior experience and/or training required; minimum of 1 year related experience and/or training strongly preferred.
- Willingness to work toward Class C welding certification (2G, 3G, 4G) required.
- Willingness to work toward Air Brake certification required.
- Willingness to complete the Class B weld test required.
- Willingness to obtain a Visual Testing - NDT-VT required.
- Willingness to obtain a Bubble Leak Test certification, either NDT-LT or NDT-BT, required.
- Willingness to obtain a Magnetic Particle Testing – NDT – MT required.
What are we looking for?
- Follow all Safety Rules and Procedures
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills
- Detail Oriented
- Results Driven and Self – starter
- Team Player<span
- Decision-making ability
Other things to note:
- This position will interact with Managers and Production personnel. The primary impact for this position is repairing the GATX Fleet. This position will become knowledgeable in multiple welding processes while learning AAR Interchange Rules.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to lift (vertically) up to 85 pounds from the ground surface
- Must be able to push / pull (horizontally) up to 140 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space (rail car manways as small as 18” in diameter) and work in enclosed environments
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.