Position Purpose: Learns and provides regular maintenance of valve/coils and associated components. Accurately completes required documentation directly related to repairs performed. Reads blueprints, schematics, and interchange rules outlined in MSRP and Field Manual of the AAR Interchange Rules.
The Apprentice Valve & Coil Specialist must become proficient in and knowledgeable about valve/coil maintenance responsibilities, further developing skills by learning from experienced Valve & Coil Specialists and Sr. Valve & Coil Specialists.
% Time Spent
1. Provides assistance to Valve & Coil specialists in performing maintenance of valves and coils as required to meet regulatory, quality and shop production needs. To include but not limited to the following:
· Follows all company safety rules and procedures.
· Learn and perform leak tests on received equipment/cars.
· Learn and provide basic railcar repairs and maintenance.
· Remove and apply valves and fittings. Perform non-destructive examinations (NDE) of valves and valve assemblies.
· Learn and perform final leak test/Hydro test as may be required for valve and or coil testing.
· Learn and apply nitrogen stages as required.
· Performs minor preventative maintenance on tools and equipment used.
· Maintains work area in a clean and orderly manner. Complies with the established safety policies and awareness for safety, and when possible recommends specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
· Ensures quality of work performed meets AAR, FRA, GATX and customer guidelines.
2. Ensure that all necessary forms, systems and work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely reporting. This includes documentation as required for portal/QF forms.
3. Collaborate and communicate with the Material Department to manage the material stock for valve rebuild/application (parts and gaskets).
Scope of Work: This position will interact with Quality, Engineering, Material, and Production personnel. The person in this position will not have any direct reports.
Education and/or Experience Required (including certifications):
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order. Select from “key competencies for job descriptions” list:
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.