Makes weldments on ferrous and non-ferrous materials using electric arc, hand heliarc or semi- automatic heliarc welding process, involving any type or weld for required appearance and quality requirements in any position
- Moves, sets up and adjusts equipment and selects proper rod to perform work assigned.
- Prepares surface to be welded; burns, gauges, fits, tacks and welds as necessary to complete repair (Example: splices, patches, shims, cracks, etc.)
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by use of soap suds and air, etc., rechecking as necessary.
- Finishes weld by removing slag and grinding when necessary.
- Jacks cars, removes trucks, positions to tank rolls, disassembles to repair or gain access to parts needings repair and reassembles as necessary.
- Assists other workmen in placing, fitting and attaching of parts as assigned.
- Remove, replace, layourt, burn, shape ream, and straighten as necessary to perform various repairs to: tanks hell proper, fittings, couplers, gears, underframe, safety applicantes, insulation jacket and related components.
- Performs minor layouts required in performance of prescribed duties.
- Lubricates and makes minor repairs to assigned small power, mechanical and hand tools, replacing broken and worn parts. Lubricate, gauge and adjust car parts as necessary.
- Certifications are held per AWS D 15.1.
- Communicates with supervisor as needed.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Comply with the established safety policies, support continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, work orders, and AAR Field Manual.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide two digit numbers
- Proficient with torch cutting.
- Prior experience in welding and fabrication.
- Ability to perform moderate physical exertion in performing arc welding on ground level and overhead.
- Ability to safetly lift up to 51 lbs regularly and safely lift up to 85 lbs occasionly from the ground surface.
- Must be able to push/pull horizontally up to 140 lbs of force.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments.
- Must be able to physically enter confined space and work in enclosed environments.