The primary function of the Blast Operator is to operate blasting equipment to remove scale, paint and other foreign substances from inside and/or outside of cars and other materials.
Key Job Activities:
- Operates stationary blasting equipment to remove scale and other foreign substances from inside and/or outside of cars and other materials.
- Removes foreign matter from grit.
- Dismantles parts of machines to remove foreign matter when stopped up.
- Makes valve adjustments and minor repairs to blasting equipment and checks proper gauge to ensure equipment is in good working order.
- Cleans cars as required before and after blasting.
- Communicate with supervisor as needed.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Comply with the established safety policies, support-continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
Education and/or Experience Requires (including certifications):
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, and work orders.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide two digit numbers.
- Ability to reason through and plan work details and procedures to obtain desired results.
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order.
- Knowledge of railcar repairs.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Basic computer knowledge and strong communication skills – experience.
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions.
The following summarize physical demand requirements associated with this position:
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions.
- Must be able to perform overhead word for extended periods.
- Must be able to safely lift (vertically) up to 51 pounds, regularly, and safely lift up to 85 pounds, occasionally, from the ground surface.
- Must be able to push/pull (horizontally) up to 140 pounds of force.
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments.
- Must be able to physically enter confined space and work in enclosed environments.
The above description is general and is not to be construed as a detail description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.