The primary function of the Blast Operator is to operate blasting equipment to remove scale, paint and other foreign substances from inside and/or outside of cars and other materials.
- Operates stationary blasting equipment to remove scale and other foriegn substances from inside and/or outside of cars and other materials
- Removes foreign matter from grit
- Dismantles parts of machines to remove foreign matter when stopped up
- Makes valve adjustments and minor repairs to blasting equipment and checks proper gauge to ensure equipment is in good working order
- Cleans cars as required before and after blasting
- Communicate with supervisors as needed
- Keeps work area in a clean and oderly manner
- Comply with established safety policies, support continuing safety awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, and work orders
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide two digit numbers
- Ability to reason through and plan work details and procedures to obtain desired results
- Knowledge of railcar repairs
- Effective communication skills
- Basic computer knowledge
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to safely lift (vertically) up to 51 lbs, regulary and safetly lift up to 85 lbs from ground to surface
- Must be able to push/pull (horizaontally) up to 140 pounds of force
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space and work in enclosed environments
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.