The primary function of the Car Repairer is to perform different repairs on railcars including the inspection, welding, assembling of parts, improvement and replacement of defectuous railcars components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Uses current GATX repair procedures to dismantle, repair, install and/or renew coil, valves and miscellaneous tank car fittings.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces to be welded: welds, burns, fits, tacks as necessary to complete repairs. (Example: splices, patches, shims cracks, etc.)
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by using soap suds and air, etc.…
- Uses equipment such as chains, slings, hoists and forklifts to perform assigned tasks.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Able to work in confined spaces and in heights.
We offer excellent working conditions and a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and a pension plan.
What is required of you?
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior experience and/or training required; minimum of 1 year related experience and/or training strongly preferred
What are we looking for?
- Follow all Safety Rules and Procedures
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills
- Detail Oriented
- Results Driven and Self – starter
- Team Player<span
- Decision-making ability
Other things to note:
- This position will interact with Managers and Production personnel. The primary impact for this position is repairing the GATX Fleet. This position will become knowledgeable in multiple welding processes while learning AAR Interchange Rules.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to lift (vertically) up to 85 pounds from the ground surface
- Must be able to push / pull (horizontally) up to 140 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space (rail car manways as small as 18” in diameter) and work in enclosed environments
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Follow us on LinkedIn!