This position is responsible for performing general accounting functions for the Corporate segment and Fixed Assets. This includes the accurate and timely recording of transactions, assisting in maintaining the integrity of the general ledger and applicable subledgers and preparation of monthly reporting requirements.
- Ensure monthly activities are recorded in accordance with GATX accounting policies and prepare relevant journal entries for areas within the Corporate segment including recording and tracking of accrued expenses, intercompany interest and FX translations, amongst others.
- Prepare monthly trend analysis reports
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly and quarterly reporting package by investigating and documenting income statement and balance sheet variances and statement of cash flows.
- Display a knowledge of intercompany processes and effectively ensure all intercompany transactions are appropriately offset
- Prepare quarterly and annual supporting schedules as required for financial reporting department in accordance with 10-Q and 10-K disclosure requirements
- Assist with internal and external audit requests.
- Assist in maintaining an effective control environment by executing controls to ensure compliance with established accounting policies
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts monthly
- Effectively document reconciliations and other supporting schedules to enable reviewers to quickly understand and assess them
- Understand the full end to end process for recording transactions and develop and propose process improvements
- Perform analysis of corporate accounts to enable others to understand the nature of transactions and key drivers of activity
- Assist with various requests related to fixed assets such as asset balance reports and providing specific fixed asset attributes and values
- Record finance leases, maintain the integrity of the finance lease subledgers and record changes to finance leases in accordance with GATX accounting policies
- Prepare reports and journal entries to track and record intercompany movement of fixed assets
- Perform adhoc requests and special projects as requested, such as documentation of business processes, process improvement recommendations
- Bachelors Degree required, Accounting or Finance
- CPA or working towards one desired
- 2-4 years of accounting experience
- Solid understanding of basic accounting and associated accounting skills
- Excel and Microsoft office products
- SAP experience
- Detail oriented – high attention to detail and accuracy
- Organizational Skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Analytical Skills
- Written/Oral Communication Skills – able to document work and make it easy to follow for others
- Willingness to learn
- Team player – willing to help in other areas as needed and support the performance of the overall team
- Continuous improvement – exhibits a continuous improvement mindset and willing to step in and take necessary actions to make improvements
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Follow us on LinkedIn!