Founded in 1898 and headquartered in Chicago, IL, GATX Corporation (NYSE:GATX) strives to be recognized as the finest railcar leasing company worldwide. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining top talent.
The Data Integration Lead is a REMOTE role, expected to have expert-level technical knowledge and polished team leadership skills, and will have direct responsibility for end-to-end processes related to Extraction, Transform and Load (ETL) of business information from transaction systems into data warehouses and reporting systems. This includes the design, development and deployment of batch and near-real-time data load processing, with primary focus on maintaining the back-end components to support GATX data warehouse systems. This position requires demonstrated technical and functional skills in the ETL and Data Integration fields, combined with in-depth analytical and production support experience, and specific expertise in ETL/Data Warehouse/BI technologies and deployment.
The incumbent is expected to lead and collaborate with project teams consisting of technical architects, application developers, Infrastructure administrators, DBAs, business analysts and users to effectively plan, design and implement solutions in support of Data Warehouse systems. The incumbent is expected to perform work that is technically advanced, and be responsible for solving complex problems. The ideal candidate must demonstrate ability to work in an environment with multiple complex platforms and data systems, and be able to integrate information from multiple sources to meet business requirements.
- Lead new development requests, enhancements, and project initiatives aimed at providing data integration solutions per business requirements. Work closely with project teams to ensure that all Data Mart / Data Warehouse needs are met in accordance with the enterprise strategic direction. The Data Integration Lead is expected to:
- Play a lead role in all phases of the SDLC (software development life-cycle) in areas that relate to Data Integration, ETL and Data Warehouse systems.
- Design, maintain and support the interfaces that feed data warehouse systems. Provide ETL expertise and be the authority for the strategy, architecture, standards, dataflow processes, maintenance, support, and data quality procedures for the back-end components.
- Participate and lead small teams in the requirements analysis, definition, planning, development and implementation of ETL projects.
- Design, development, and implementation of services that support data warehouse and data archiving strategies, as well as systems/techniques that capture/distribute information based on best practices.
- Design, enhance and support the overall ETL / Data Staging processes and architecture.
- Develop and maintain testing standards and other data quality assurance procedures.
- Create, update and maintain data mart/warehouse documentation and standard procedures, including data flow diagrams that include source/target mappings and transformation.
- Definition and oversight of data mart/warehouse operational procedures.
- Identification and promotion of data mart/warehouse best practices and patterns for data modeling, and overseeing activities related to data cleansing, data quality and data consolidation using standard data modeling methodologies and processes.
- Assist and support activities related to data modeling and design.
- Lead the data integration application upgrade process when patches or major version upgrades are necessary including the actually application of the patch/upgrade, definition of the regression testing process, orchestration of this regression testing, and remediation of issues identified during this testing process.
- Support existing data warehouse systems including performing maintenance and resolution of production problems. Maintain knowledge of established service level agreements and deliver support in a manner that meets expectations. Participate in the implementation of processes designed to reduce the number of production incidents and improve customer satisfaction. Handle technically complex problems and mentor support staff through problem resolution. Resolve all business impacting data integration issues / defects / failures in a timely manner in support of service level agreements.
- Investigate and stay abreast of technology trends and new versions of tools and platforms in use by the Data Integration and BI teams. Evaluate and recommend upgrades of existing ETL tools. Support and maintain data integration tools used for application and data warehouse solutions, including the configuration and testing of custom and packaged software. Recommend, adopt and institute best practices as appropriate.
- Interact with all levels of the organization including external service providers and partners.
- Partner with Business and IT functional groups to provide solutions that support business operations and enable improvements and efficiencies. Lead small teams of developers and analysts to deliver small-to-medium size projects.
- Collaborate with project teams consisting of technical architects, application developers, technical administrators, business analysts and users in order to accomplish technical and business goals.
Education and/or Technical Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; concentrations in Data Integration/ETL, Data Modeling and Data Warehousing. Master’s degree a plus.
- 10+ years of overall IT development experience with a minimum of 7+ years direct experience in ETL design, development, testing, and application support in a multi-platform enterprise environment (Windows / Unix / Oracle.)
- Minimum 6+ years direct experience in Microsoft SSIS ETL development tools, including hands-on experience using the following version of SSIS and above: SQL Server 2022 Enterprise (16.0.x) / SQL Server Data Tools – Business Intelligence for Visual Studio 2013.
- Experience having led an upgrade of a data integration environment from one version of SQL Server / SSIS to another.
- Solid working knowledge of relational databases, specifically Oracle 19c, 12c and 11g. Microsoft SQL Server experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in using query tools like Oracle SQL Developer and Toad.
- Solid knowledge of SQL, Data Mapping, Database Structures, Processes and Scripts. Knowledge of Stored Procedures and Unix Shell Scripting a plus.
- Design and perform data integration work that is inherently complex and requires advanced technical skills and knowledge of multiple data systems.
- Strong working knowledge of transactional and data warehouse systems, associated interfaces and their impact on business.
- Demonstrated knowledge of development life cycle methodologies (especially Agile), project management frameworks and software delivery tools.
- Java, SAP, PeopleSoft and Mainframe exposure a plus.
- Oracle PL/SQL experience a plus.
- Exposure to Enterprise Application Integration concepts a plus (SOAP / REST WebServices, JMS/EMS, etc.)
- Exposure to Agile Software Development Methodology.
- Occasional work on nights and weekends to support production environment and meet project demands and deadlines.
As of April 18, 2023, the salary range for this position is $104,000. to $155,000. This range for this position is a reasonable estimate and takes into account several factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to geographic location, skill set, experience, education, training, internal equity and other business needs.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.