To provide leadership over the EHS function to ensure a safe and secure environment for our employees, contractors, visitors and the surrounding community in cooperation with facility and corporate Operations and EHS objectives, targets and goals. To ensure compliance with all EHS regulatory and Responsible Care requirements. To understand and strategically reduce EHS risk to all stakeholders via a proactive and continuous improvement approach. Direct reports include a Safety Coordinator and may also include a Stand-By Saefty Attendant and Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Lead and manage the maintenance of the Service Center’s EH&S program. Maintain strong presence on the shop floor and perform regular facility inspections to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and GATX policies and procedures (including RCMS). Ensure (or conduct) that all facility employees receive required EH&S training. Lead EHS continuous improvement / corrective actions. Manage incidents and injury claims whenever they occur at a 1-shift operation.
- Analyze and communicate the safety performance (incident rate, training, worker’s compensation) to all appropriate supervisors and managers. Establish and implement improvement plans based upon analysis to satisfy GATX Operations Group’s Initiatives.
- Control and communicate documents pertinent to the EHS systems to all affected personnel including, but not limited to EHS policies and procedures and all regulatory and corporate reporting requirements.
- Serve as the technical liaison for researching, analyzing, and communicating on EHS issues to regulatory bodies and GATX Commercial and Operations functions
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in EHS, Science, Engineering, Operations or related field, or Associate’s Degree with equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a production / fabrication environment with safety and environmental responsibility highly preferred.
- Experience in a union environment highly preferred.
- Specific knowledge and experience with confined space entry, elevated work hazards, Title V air permitting, RCRA LQG requirements, Process Safety Management (PSM) and/or Risk Management Plans (RMP) are preferred.
- Working knowledge of US and California environmental and safety regulations and Worker’s Compensation procedures.
- Responsible Care Management System (or similar ISO management system) and/or SafeStart experience preferred.