Founded in 1898 and headquartered in Chicago, IL, GATX Corporation (NYSE: GATX) strives to be recognized as the finest railcar leasing company worldwide. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining top talent.
The Business Analysis Group performs a wide range of activities around financial data management, analysis, reporting and modeling. The Financial Analyst is primarily focused on supporting Commercial and Operations functions within the North American Rail business. The Rail Commercial and Operations groups rely heavily on the group on a regular basis to meet virtually all analytical and reporting needs. The Financial Analyst must therefore provide accurate and timely reporting and analysis to support commercial strategies, investment decisions, and performance improvement efforts.
North American Rail Commercial and Operations reporting and analysis:
- Prepare monthly sales activity report, report key/significant activity-based statistics, and obtain commentary from fleet managers.
- Determine renewal success percentage and the underlying contributing car types.
- Prepare North America trend tables/charts/graphs of key performance metrics for monthly and quarterly operation reports. Support variance analysis of change from forecast, budget and prior periods.
- Develop, update, maintain and document queries for the SAP-Business Warehouse Revenue Analysis Tool to support rate/volume and other variances analyses.
- Prepare information and support for quarterly review meetings for fleet status reporting, lease rate performance, term management and key customer exposures.
- Support incentive compensation plan targets and results calculation for Rail’s North American sales force.
- Analyze system generated data for erroneous information. Work with Fleet Managers and IT to discover the cause and correct any problems.
- Actively participate in the forecasting and budgeting of North American railcar lease revenue and maintenance expenses. This includes having a solid, working knowledge of the budget model, developing and maintaining templates, collecting input from account managers, fleet managers, structured finance, and others throughout the organization to build budget assumptions, develop revenue, expenses and investment projections; and analysis of results for commercial management review.
- Prepare key metrics, analysis and supporting information for budget and forecast presentations to management.
- Support the budget/forecast model and reporting processes. Document the processes and continually review and update documentation to reflect any changes.
- Support and maintain Business Analysis Group Power Bi Reporting.
- Provide analytical support for interdepartmental projects and activities. Examples include railcar-based financings, pricing and investment analysis, operations finance, and market analysis.
- Other frequent ad-hoc analyses and reports as required by GATX senior management and Rail Commercial management.
The position interacts with all levels of the organization, especially within Rail Commercial and Operations groups. Key groups include the Chief Commercial Officer, VPs of Operations, Fleet Portfolio Management, Sales, Structured Finance, as well as senior executive management.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Bachelors degree in finance, accounting, engineering, or other field requiring analytical thinking is required; MBA or other advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant experience in analytical roles required.
- Advanced Microsoft skills required.
- Experience with SAP or other ERP system, data mining and databases required.
- Knowledge of equipment leasing and/or North America rail industry desirable.
- Heavy workloads at times may require working evenings or weekends at office or from home.
- Minimal travel.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.