The Locomotive Technician 1 assists other Locomotive Technicians in the maintenance, repair and inspection of GATX-owned locomotives. Ensures that all necessary work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely customer billing. Must understand and follow GATX and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures. Must demonstrate good teamwork skills and knowledge of FRA regulations.
The Locomotive Technician 1 partners with the manager and other site personnel to ensure certifications, customer suitability requirements and other job requirements remain current. Works toward obtaining the skills necessary to advance to Locomotive Technician 2.
Key Job Activities:
% Time Spent
1. Locomotive Service and Repairs: Assists other Locomotive Technicians in performing scheduled and on demand maintenance, repair and inspection of GATX-owned locomotives as required to meet regulatory, quality and customer production needs. To include, but not limited to, the following:
· Understands and follows company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures; wears prescribed personal protective equipment; operates GATX vehicles safely and responsibly; takes appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of self or coworkers; ensures equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work.
· Conducts locomotive inspections to insure each unit complies with regulatory, industry and customer-specific requirements, and to detect evidence of wear or needed fuel, oil and other consumables.
· Removes and replaces defective components on rolling stock (trucks, shoes, coupler assemblies, air brake systems).
· Repairs rolling stock structural components. Fabricates, cuts, and performs rough finish operations on metal. Fastens and assembles locomotive parts by riveting, bolting, welding, and other methods.
· Reads and interprets GATX policies, procedures, and engineering instructions, and FRA and DOT regulations.
· Cleans and prepares surfaces for painting.
· Performs air and brake tests.
· Safely and effectively operates the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment.
· Communicates, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information.
· Cleans and supplies work areas.
· Performs minor preventative maintenance on vehicles, tools and equipment used and other tasks as assigned.
2. Customer Support: Meets the expectations and requirements of all customers. Ensures that customers are satisfied with the work.
3. Clerical: Ensures that all necessary work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely customer billing. Monitors and audits completed repair work orders, systems and forms.
4. Other: Maintains all certifications, including TWIC cards, Houston area safety council, and site-specific safety training requirements at various customer sites on the Gulf Coast. Demonstrates strong familiarity with FRA rules and regulations. Partners with manager and other site personnel to ensure certifications, customer suitability requirements and other job requirements remain current. Works toward obtaining the skills necessary to advance to Locomotive Technician 2.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Scope of Work: This position will interact with all levels and positions within Locomotive, with various departments in Chicago and customers. The primary impact for this position is repairing GATX owned locomotives. This position operates under the direction of the Sr. Mechanical Manager – Gulf Coast within a predefined GATX structure.
This person must maintain consistent safety focus, be competent around locomotives and be familiar with all customer site requirements so as to fulfill the scope of this function, which is to maintain and repair locomotives at customer locations. Will schedule and manage content of work day with little to no direct supervision.
Demonstrate increasing and ongoing improvement in abilities and skills required for performing locomotive inspections and repairs. Demonstrate familiarity with inventory and supply management. Consistently demonstrate skill in customer relations, using good interpersonal skills and be able to work as part of a team.
Education and/or Experience Required (including certifications):
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Please switch to a different, up-to-date browser to experience more security, speed and best user experience on the site.Okay