Established on 1898, GATX is the leading global provider of railcar leasing and service to customers throughout North America, Europe, and India. Through Trifleet, we own, lease, and manage a global fleet of tank containers. Jointly with Rolls-Royce plc, we also own one of the largest aircraft spare engine leasing portfolios in the world. Across all our businesses, we provide innovative, unparalleled service that enables our customers to transport what matters safely and sustainably, while championing the well-being of our employees and communities.
POSITION: RAILCAR REPAIRER / MECHANIC
Our Railcars Maintenance shop located at 2200 Caribou St W, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 7N5 is looking for motivated and dynamic individuals with at least a High School Diploma or Equivalent as well as abilities in Welding and/or Mechanic, Entry or Advanced Level for its open positions as RAILCAR REPAIRER / MECHANIC. The person on this role performs different repairs on railcars including the inspection, welding, assembling of parts, improvement and replacement of defectuous railcars components. This role doesn't require prior experiences in Rail or related activities, GATX will be providing all necessary trainings to safely and successfully complete all the essential tasks listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Uses current GATX repair procedures to dismantle, repair, install and/or renew coil, valves and miscellaneous tank car fittings.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces to be welded: welds, burns, fits, tacks as necessary to complete repairs. (Example: splices, patches, shims cracks, etc.)
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by using soap suds and air, etc.…
- Uses equipment such as chains, slings, hoists and forklifts to perform assigned tasks.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Able to work in confined spaces and in heights.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (including certifications):
- At least a High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Experiences in Welding, through education, past employment, farm & Hobby Welding
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as repair manuals, instructions, work orders , ect...
- Ability to work effectively individually and / or in groups
- Initiative: Have a personal motivation and autonomy to determine and carry out important tasks
- Diligence and reliability at work: be able to complete all hours of work, rarely absent and be able to complete all assigned tasks at a reasonable period of time
OTHER THINGS TO NOTE:
- Potential candidates may be asked to perform basic pre-employment welding test
- This position will interact with Managers and Production personnel. The primary impact for this position is repairing the GATX Fleet. This position will become knowledgeable in multiple welding processes while learning AAR Interchange Rules.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to lift (vertically) up to 85 pounds from the ground surface
- Must be able to push / pull (horizontally) up to 140 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space (rail car manways as small as 18” in diameter) and work in enclosed environments
- GATX OFFER EXCELLENT BENEFITS:
GATX OFFER EXCELLENT BENEFITS:
- Good working environment, stability and a good work/life balance
- Fringe Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance) at zero cost to the employee
- Retirement Savings
- Paid vacations
- Continuous Education - Reimbursement program available for individuals that may want to join a Welding Apprenticeship program to enhance their welding skills.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.