Established on 1898, GATX is the leading global provider of railcar leasing and service to customers throughout North America, Europe, and India. Through Trifleet, we own, lease, and manage a global fleet of tank containers. Jointly with Rolls-Royce plc, we also own one of the largest aircraft spare engine leasing portfolios in the world. Across all our businesses, we provide innovative, unparalleled service that enables our customers to transport what matters safely and sustainably, while championing the well-being of our employees and communities.
The primary function of the Car Repairer is to perform different repairs on railcars including the inspection, welding, assembling of parts, improvement and replacement of defectuous railcars components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to the following:
- Uses current GATX repair procedures to dismantle, repair, install and/or renew coil, valves and miscellaneous tank car fittings.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces to be welded: welds, burns, fits, tacks as necessary to complete repairs. (Example: splices, patches, shims cracks, etc.)
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by using soap suds and air, etc.…
- Uses equipment such as chains, slings, hoists and forklifts to perform assigned tasks.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Able to work in confined spaces and in heights.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (including certifications):
- At least a High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as repair manuals, instructions, work orders , ect...
- Ability to work effectively individually and / or in groups
- Initiative: Have a personal motivation and autonomy to determine and carry out important tasks
- Diligence and reliability at work: be able to complete all hours of work, rarely absent and be able to complete all assigned tasks at a reasonable period of time
WORK LOCATION :
4310 77 St
Red Deer, AB T4P 3P7
GATX OFFER EXCELLENT BENEFITS:
- Competitive salaries and growth opportunities
- Good working environment, stability and a good work/life balance
- Fringe Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance) at zero cost to the employee
- Retirement Savings
- Paid vacations
- Continuous training and development
Other things to note:
- This position will interact with Managers and Production personnel. The primary impact for this position is repairing the GATX Fleet. This position will become knowledgeable in multiple welding processes while learning AAR Interchange Rules.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods
- Must be able to lift (vertically) up to 85 pounds from the ground surface
- Must be able to push / pull (horizontally) up to 140 pounds
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments
- Must be able to physically enter confined space (rail car manways as small as 18” in diameter) and work in enclosed environments
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.