GATX Corporation, founded in 1898, is the leading global railcar lessor. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. As one of our 8 maintenance facilities across North America, our Terre Haute Repair Center specializes in cleaning and repairing railcars. GATX searches for extraordinary individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious, and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration, and dedication are vital parts of our corporate culture.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Repair Center Manager is responsible for the overall performance of the Terre Haute Repair Center. This individual develops and implements strategic and tactical plans, programs and processes that ensure achievement of the facility’s safety, quality, delivery, and cost (SQDC) objectives. The manager leads the Repair Center through Goal Deployment and Continuous Improvement efforts directed at creating business and process improvements that provide GATX with sustainable competitive advantage. This person will use a Continuous Improvement mind set along with the S,Q,D,C methodology to lead and prioritize the team efforts through safety, quality, delivery, and cost improvements. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with key customers both internal and external, and provides clear direction and motivation to the workforce. Ensures consistent and fair administration of employee policies and programs. Effectively manages the working relationships with employee committee leaders.
GATX Offers Excellent Benefits:
- Competitive salaries and growth opportunities
- Eligible for annual 17.5% target bonus based on company and personal performance
- Retirement benefits include a 401(k) plan with employer match PLUS a company funded Pension Plan
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance effective day 1
- Generous vacation with 15 days of paid time off, 10 paid holidays, 2 floating holidays, and paid sick days
- Great working environment, with a strong focus on an employee-centered company culture
- Additional benefits including parental leave, adoption assistance, short and long-term disability, tuition reimbursement, just to name a few
Key Job Activities:
% Time Spent
- Develop and implement business plans that enable the Repair Center to meet or exceed budgeted performance requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement efforts and good problem-solving skills throughout the service center, using Lean and Six Sigma methodology.
- Be a driving force in Goal Deployment – set targets, initiatives and accountabilities relative to Plant production, quality and safety.
- Foster a culture of proactive identification of issues and successful root cause and corrective action that support GATX’s commitment to safety and quality.
- Organize, develop and motivate the workforce so as to maximize operating effectiveness.
- Develop and implement effective communications processes that align the repair center with company’s performance requirements.
- Develop strong cost focus within all levels of the service center by establishing and maintaining cost structures that meet budgetary objectives.
- Provide clear, proactive leadership to all direct reports and operations staff that aim to create and foster a sense of urgency that embraces positive change within the repair center.
- Develop, articulate and install clear performance goals and measures, and provide timely feedback to the workforce.
- Oversee training and development to ensure both professional staff and skilled labor have the requisite skills and certifications to achieve company goals.
· Develop and foster a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Develop strong working relationships with key internal and external customers so as to align the Repair Center with key business needs.
- In conjunction with organizational leadership, develop, install and maintain programs and process to meet state, Federal, Railroad, and associated regulatory requirements.
This position regularly interacts with all levels from hourly personnel to Sr. Operations leadership as well as periodic interaction with company executives. The position will have interactions with Commercial & Maintenance Rail Leadership, Other Corporate leaders, consultants, contractors, suppliers, customers and contract shop service providers.
Education and/or Experience Required (including certifications):
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis on business management/operations management, industrial technology or engineering
- Minimum of 8 years operations/railcar maintenance experience in leadership roles.
- Direct supervisory background working with a skilled trade workforce of 30 or more employees.
- Functional knowledge of modern manufacturing/operations techniques such as “lean manufacturing”, Kaizen, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience leading the implementation of multi-million dollar capital investment plans strongly preferred.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency with the following systems:
- MS Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Shop Portal
- Power BI
- Develop and foster a respectful and inclusive work environment.
- Develop and mentor others.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to collect, analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data; apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root causes using data.
- Possess a bias for facilitating change.
- Effective communicator; able to clearly and professionally articulate business requirements.
- Superb team building skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to build trust and commitment within an organization.
- Demonstrates ability to operate within a profit center with clear understanding of financial factors associated with an operating environment.
Other (i.e. physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
- Intermittent travel (less than 20%)
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.