GATX Corporation, founded in 1898, is the leading global railcar lessor. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. One of 8 maintenance facilities across North America, our Montreal Service Center provides a full array of services, including repairing, qualifying, painting, cleaning, and blasting railcars. GATX searches for extraordinary individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious, and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration, and dedication are vital parts of our corporate culture.
The Service Center Manager is responsible for the overall performance of the Montreal Service Center . This individual develops and implements strategic and tactical plans, programs and processes that ensure achievement of the facility’s safety, quality, delivery, and cost (SQDC) objectives. The manager leads the Service Center through Goal Deployment and Continuous Improvement efforts directed at creating business and process improvements that provide GATX with sustainable competitive advantage. This person will use a Continuous Improvement mind set along with the S,Q,D,C methodology to lead and prioritize the team efforts through safety, quality, delivery, and cost improvements. Builds and maintains positive working relationships with key customers both internal and external, and provides clear direction and motivation to the workforce. Ensures consistent and fair administration of employee policies and programs. Effectively manages the working relationships with employee committee leaders.
GATX OFFERS EXCELLENT BENEFITS:
- Competitive salaries and growth opportunities
- Eligible for annual 15.0% target bonus based on company and personal performance
- Retirement plans with company contributions up to 9% of salary
- Fringe Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance) at no cost to the employee
- Generous paid time off
- Great working environment, with a strong focus on an employee-centered company culture
KEY JOB ACTIVITIES:
% Time Spent
- Develop and implement business plans that enable the Service Center and Customer Site to meet or exceed budgeted performance requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement efforts and good problem-solving skills throughout the service center, using Lean and Six Sigma methodology.
- Be a driving force in Goal Deployment – set targets, initiatives and accountabilities relative to Service Center production, quality and safety.
- Foster a culture of pro-active identification of issues and successful root cause and corrective action that support GATX’s commitment to safety and quality.
- Organize, develop and motivate the workforce so as to maximize operating effectiveness.
- Develop and implement effective communications processes that align the Service Center with company’s performance requirements.
- Develop strong working relationships with key internal and external customers so as to align the Service Center with key business needs.
- In conjunction with organizational leadership, develop, install and maintain programs and processes to meet Provincial, Federal, Railroad, and associated regulatory requirements, as well as Customer Site rules as defined by the Company in partnership with Customers.
- Establish and maintain a positive labor relations environment with employee committee leaders.
- Provide clear, proactive leadership to all direct reports and operations staff that aim to create and foster a sense of urgency that embraces positive change within the service center.
- Oversee training and development of Service Center and Mobile Repair Unit/Customer Site staff to ensure each site has a pool of skilled labor with the requisite skills and certifications to achieve company goals.
This position regularly interacts with all levels from hourly personal to Sr. Operations leadership as well as periodic interaction with Company executives. The position will have interactions with Commercial & Maintenance Rail Leadership, Other Corporate leaders, consultants, suppliers, customers and contract shop service providers.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (including certifications):
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis on business management/operations management, industrial technology or engineering; MBA preferred (focus on general management a plus).
- Minimum of 8 years operations/railcar maintenance experience in leadership roles.
- Direct supervisory background working with a collective bargaining employment.
- Functional knowledge of modern manufacturing/operations techniques such as “lean manufacturing”, Kaizen, Six Sigma, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding and competence in developing effective labor/management relations within an organization.
- Bilingual in English and French.
- Ability to develop and mentor others
- Ability to develop and foster a respectful and inclusive work environment
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to build strong professional relationships.
- Strong analytical skills; ability to collect, analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data; apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root causes using data.
- Possess a bias for facilitating change.
- Effective communicator; able to clearly articulate business requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to build trust and commitment within an organization.
- Demonstrates ability to operate within a profit center with clear understanding of financial factors associated with an operating environment.
Other (i.e. physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
Intermittent travel (less than 20%).
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ( at least 2 doses), subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.