This position mainly supports the Business Analysis function for the Rail North America business segment. This position supports both periodic as well as ongoing financial analyses to evaluate the repair shop network and railcar fleet maintenance costs and trends. This position requires building processes and models to assist financial and management reporting, including reports to monitor progress against plans and performance metrics that will need to be enhanced or developed, repair pricing and revenue analysis, etc. It involves working closely with the Operations, Finance, Accounting, IT and Commercial organizations. This position also supports the integration with North America Rail Commercial business reporting and budgeting.
Assist the development and improvement of North American Rail & Locomotive maintenance financial and management reporting
- Provide support for preparation, development and ongoing improvement of Rail Operations reporting
- Contribute to developing and refining operations metrics and fleet cost reporting & analysis
- Develop automation in maintenance reporting, leveraging tools such as Power BI, and collaborating closely with IT
- Assist in development of maintenance revenue and profitability reporting for net fleet maintenance costs by fleet product family.
Assist in all aspects of the North American Rail & Locomotive Operations Budget and Forecasting Processes and its continuous improvements
- Develop, test, and continually seek to improve the planning and budgeting process for maintenance expenses
- Develop key budget assumptions, establish templates/tools to collect and organize budget data and track variances by source
- Collaborate with Fleet Maintenance Management, Facility Finance and shops to track and review the maintenance supply/demand model and integrate with the budget/forecast process
- Supports the budgeting and forecasting integration with commercial assumptions.
Develop maintenance pricing analysis and annual update
- Prepare maintenance pricing analytics, track and measure the implementation to propose improvement opportunities
- Support maintenance pricing annual update and proposal by providing benchmarking analysis, internal cost analysis and tiered pricing analysis
- Provide support in interdepartmental projects and activities. Examples include process improvement initiatives, IT systems projects and internal procedure development and documentation
- Prepare other ad-hoc reports and analyses as required by FP&A and Operations management and other departments (e.g., Insurance, Tax, Accounting, etc.)
This position primarily supports the Rail North American Operations and therefore will interact with all levels of management and staff in the Operations Group (Chicago as well as Shop management). Frequent interaction also occurs with individuals at various levels from other groups including Accounting, FP&A, IT, Engineering, and HR.
Education and/or Experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business; MBA or other advanced degree a plus
- 3+ years in operations/financial analysis
- Experience with budgeting/forecasting, financial reporting, financial modeling and operational/financial analysis.
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis skills and experience.
- Advanced Excel skills with experience in data analytics; ability to extract pertinent results from large data sets and articulate meaning.
- Ability to prepare presentations that summarize the outcome of the analyses, and convey the message across in a clear, and concise way.
- Ability to contribute to, as well as create, business cases for solutions and/or opportunities.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all organizational levels.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate complex, ambiguous business problems and contribute to solutions.
- Attention to detail coupled with the ability to see the big picture.
Consistent with our policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.