Founded in 1898 and headquartered in Chicago, IL, GATX Corporation (NYSE: GATX) strives to be recognized as the finest railcar leasing company worldwide. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. The key to our long-term growth and success is attracting and retaining top talent.
Based in GATX’s global headquarters in Chicago, the Sustainability Analyst will directly report to the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) & Sustainability Director and will work closely with cross-functional departments (e.g. Procurement, Financial Reporting, Investor Relations, ESG, Legal). The role will support with all aspects of sustainability data collection and reporting for all GATX global locations as well as project management for various sustainability goals & projects. Additionally, the role may support broader ESG initiatives and data collection for the organization. This is a HYBRID position.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Communicate expectations to data owners regarding sustainability data reporting timeline as well as data quality/internal control processes.
- Request sustainability data (e.g., emissions, water, waste, etc.) from various stakeholders on regular basis. Analyze sustainability data throughout the year to ensure accurate reporting of data and follow up on any data variances to address data issues timely.
- Train data owners on use of data collection tool and background of various data streams
- Assist with responding to data owners and stakeholder questions.
- Support with development and review of annual sustainability data for external disclosures (e.g., GHG emissions, SASB Index, etc.).
- Support external ESG Assessment responses by providing information on business practices and any necessary data.
- Research sustainability reporting requirements and developments, provide recommendations on applicability and importance to GATX.
- Document data changes from previous years to support internal review process prior to publishing.
- Develop internal and external sustainability information, presentations and communications.
- Assist with special projects, audits, and third-party validation efforts
Data Process Development
- Develop process and controls for effective data management.
- Building and implementing internal controls/checklists/procedures to support an effective and consistent sustainability reporting program.
- Assist in completion of internal validation and potential third-party assurance efforts.
- Work closely with data owners to identify data automation opportunities and work with Data Analytics team to build automated data systems.
Sustainability Initiatives & Continuous Improvement
- Lead GATX initiative to continuously improve sustainability of our operations by developing and supporting projects aimed to meet sustainability objectives & goals.
- Engage GATX facilities in the development, implementation, adoption and validation of facility-specific or corporate ESG improvement initiatives and/or projects.
This position will frequently interact with EHS Leaders within the Rail N.A. Operations group, senior executives, and cross-functional departments across the GATX organization.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g., environmental science / sustainability, data analytics, math, engineering, or a related field.)
- Work experience within a manufacturing environment or function preferred.
- Intermediate computer skills
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
- PowerBI preferred.
- HYBRID role
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
- Limited travel (~15%) required to support implementation and adoption activity within GATX facilities
- This is a hybrid role which is a mix of in-office and remote work (60% in office).
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.