Makes weldments on ferrous and non-ferrous materials using electric arc, hand heliarc or semi- automatic heliarc welding process, involving any type or weld for required appearance and quality requirements in any position
- Moves, sets up and adjusts equipment and selects proper rod to perform work assigned.
- Prepares surface to be welded; burns, gauges, fits, tacks and welds as necessary to complete repair (Example: splices, patches, shims, cracks, etc.)
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by use of soap suds and air, etc., rechecking as necessary.
- Finishes weld by removing slag and grinding when necessary.
- Jacks cars, removes trucks, positions to tank rolls, disassembles to repair or gain access to parts needings repair and reassembles as necessary.
- Assists other workmen in placing, fitting and attaching of parts as assigned.
- Remove, replace, layourt, burn, shape ream, and straighten as necessary to perform various repairs to: tanks hell proper, fittings, couplers, gears, underframe, safety applicantes, insulation jacket and related components.
- Performs minor layouts required in performance of prescribed duties.
- Lubricates and makes minor repairs to assigned small power, mechanical and hand tools, replacing broken and worn parts. Lubricate, gauge and adjust car parts as necessary.
- Certifications are held per AWS D 15.1.
- Communicates with supervisor as needed.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Comply with the established safety policies, support continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, work orders, and AAR Field Manual.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide two digit numbers
- Proficient with torch cutting.
- Prior experience in welding and fabrication.
- Ability to perform moderate physical exertion in performing arc welding on ground level and overhead.
- Ability to safetly lift up to 51 lbs regularly and safely lift up to 85 lbs occasionly from the ground surface.
- Must be able to push/pull horizontally up to 140 lbs of force.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments.
- Must be able to physically enter confined space and work in enclosed environments.
GATX embraces diversity and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Follow us on LinkedIn!