Reporting to the Sr. HR Manager – Operations, the Human Resources Generalist supports the planning and delivery of organizational Human Resources (HR) initiatives in the areas of employee relations, policy and procedure development, performance management, and training, that support the Company’s business objectives and strategies for the Terre Haute Repair Center. This position gives support and guidance to facility personnel in all aspects of the human resources function. Ensures that plans and objectives are clearly communicated, fair and competitive, and in compliance with federal and provincial laws.
GATX Corporation, founded in 1898, is the leading global railcar lessor. Our competitive advantage is our full-service leasing business model, including a world-class railcar maintenance network. One of 8 maintenance facilities across North America, our Terre Haute, Indiana Repair Center provides an array of services, including repairing, qualifying, cleaning, and blasting railcars. GATX searches for extraordinary individuals who are creative, intuitive, driven, intellectually curious, and eager to join a dynamic organization where high-quality work, collaboration, and dedication are vital parts of our corporate culture.
% Time Spent
Talent and Performance Management/ Organizational Development
· Assist with management of programs that ensure professional development of employees across the organization.
· Provide support for initiatives that promote employee engagement and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Manage the hiring process by creating job postings, reviewing resumes and applications, performing telephone interviews, and coordinating other interviews.
· Develop and maintain professional relationships with university and community college placement offices as a source to generate qualified applicants.
· In consultation with Sr. HR Manager, prepare offer letters and make offers of employment.
· Partner with the Repair Center Manager, hiring managers, and Talent, Learning & Development to manage the new hire onboarding process, including facilitating Learning Path supervisor and mentor activities, management reviews, and survey completion; documenting Learning Path completion through PeopleSoft data entry; and conducting HR components of Learning Paths.
· Provide support, feedback, and coaching for employees and managers with regard to jobs and performance. Partner with business leaders to provide ongoing performance management support and guidance.
· Assist in analyzing work issues, personnel placement, and other strategic issues with site managers and salaried staff. Ask pertinent questions, and offer alternative solutions.
· Assist in the development and implementation of training initiatives, policies and procedures that support the business.
· With guidance from the Sr. HR Manager and Repair Center Manager, handles employee relations matters. First point of contact for employee relations issues. Involvement includes: problem solution and avoidance, and counseling the staff and supervisors on all employee relations matters.
· Assists with investigations of complaints and breaches of company policies.
· Promote positive employee relations company-wide, ensuring fair and equitable treatment for all employees.
· Administer provisions of company policies and guidelines; counsel management to ensure compliance.
· Manage the separation process, including conducting exit interviews to determine the underlying reasons for termination of employment, drafting separation letters, and ensuring communication of final pay/final work data to other HR/Operations functions.
· Assist Repair Center Manager with employee communications.
· Coordinate training including in safety, quality and compliance.
· Manage logistics of facility events including retirement and holiday parties, donations to non-profit organizations, etc. Source and manage vendors and ensure efficient execution of events.
· Answer main office phone, sort mail, photocopy, scan, fax, etc.
· Validate that the hours entered match the employees’ timecards.
· Assist with special projects as required.
· Oversee all aspects of administration for employees, employee counseling, insurance and pension coordination, recruiting and hiring, Employee Assistance program (EAP), tuition aid, time entry, etc.
· Manage and track completion of new hire performance reviews.
· Manage employee files.
· Works with Sr. HR Manager, leave of absence coordinator and site management to manage and track all leaves of absence.
Scope of Work and Interaction:
This position will interact with all employees including shop management and staff; corporate HR, safety, quality, and payroll departments; and potential job candidates. The impact of this position on the business is very important as it plays a key role in acquiring, developing and retaining talent, and ensures functional HR excellence. The decisions made by the person filling this position need to be clear, unbiased, and utilize independent judgment in determining their conclusions. This person will have a direct reporting relationship to the Sr. HR Manager – Operations, and a dotted line reporting relationship to the Repair Center Manager.
Education and/or Experience Required (including certifications):
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order.
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Your web browser (Internet Explorer) is out of date. Please switch to a different, up-to-date browser to experience more security, speed and best user experience on the site.Okay