The IT Director – Commercial at GATX within the Information Technology group reports directly to the Chief Information Officer and leads a staff in setting direction and providing support for the Sales, Marketing, and Customer Support business functions specifically, and other business areas in general. In addition, the IT Director – Commercial is an active participant in future strategic and transformational application initiatives. The incumbent is responsible for managing service requests that pertain directly to the Sales, Marketing, and Service Delivery business area, and ensuring cross functional integration and impacts are considered. The position partners with peers within the IT group for planning and coordination purposes, and serves as the lead for initiatives launched within their domain in order to ensure successful completion and ultimate support structure.
- IT counterpart to the Chief Commercial Officer business area, responsible for understanding and supporting the business strategy with proper IT solutions.
- Work as a strategic partner with Business and IT functions, helping to enable improvements and efficiencies in their operations.
- Responsible for partnering with functional counterparts to understand Business Strategy and provide guidance for optimal enabling IT solutions.
- Integrate a broad range of ideas and data to make complex technical and business decisions in support of the development of practical, workable, and cost-effective solutions to business problems.
- Effectively manage differing approaches, viewpoints, and expectations of project and committee members to develop goals and objectives with business value; accomplish goals and objectives on schedule through successful collaboration and team work.
- Organize and direct quality work efforts; provide overall functional and/or administrative direction.
- Perform legacy system evaluations for ability to meet business requirements, and meet IT standards for scalability and maintainability.
- Participate in new application evaluation and technical architecture determination.
- Steward of Commercial IT components of any Application Road-Maps developed.
- Work with the business to evaluate/re-affirm priorities.
- Update road-map to properly reflect status and changes.
- Track execution against road-map objectives, and deliver Steering Committee updates on status and changes.
- Maintain a Transformation focus, assisting the business in consolidating functions and infrastructure, improving processes, improving margins, and reducing relative cost structure through increased efficiencies.
- Identify opportunities to manage and control costs through improved use of IT resources.
- Develop necessary and pertinent metrics to track and measure performance.
- Identify, define, and scope process and system improvement opportunities and lead efforts to recognize benefits.
- Establish guidance and enforce proper IT Governance policies and procedures.
- Enforce IT standards.
- Enforce change control procedures.
- Provide enhancement monitoring and control.
- Enforce effort prioritization and approval.
- Remain current on technology developments that could support business profitability.
- Lead a staff in technical support of relevant business applications and users.
- Ensure proper staffing in terms of FTE’s and skill sets to properly support current and forecasted business needs as well as on-going projects and initiatives.
- Provide direction to IT staff for supporting current applications and business processes as well as on-going projects and initiatives.
- Evaluate and leverage contractor resources as necessary to properly augment staffing requirements.
- Assist in managing contractor resources assigned to either staff augmentation roles, or serving as integrators on projects.
- Budget monitoring and reporting, including proper Capital v.O&M treatment.
- Ensure proper documentation and knowledge transfer activities are followed.
- Ensure that proper system documentation is created and maintained (e.g. Training material, process flows, policies/procedures, job aides, SO404 supporting material, etc.).
- Ensure cross-functional integration and alignment of processes, applications, and data.
- Active participant in business and IT Strategic Planning.
- Identify and communicate high level IT risks and recommend approaches for mitigating exposure to those risks.
- Responsible for evaluating, tracking, and reporting on budget position for the Commercial IT group, including regular monthly reports.
- Create and manage an employee development plan for staff.
- Responsible for ensuring proper disaster recovery procedures are in place, tested, and reliable for pertinent Technology assets.
- Ensure that business counterparts, IT staff, and users understand disaster recovery plans and business continuity procedures.
- Manage all processes and procedures associated with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Enforce existing internal controls, and identify any necessary additional internal controls. Work with Corporate Audit to ensure that additional controls are documented, instituted, practiced, and monitored.
- Background in business technology and systems development.
- Background in change management/control methodologies and application.
- Background in systems development life cycle and associated methodologies. Experience in leading and managing Agile projects.
- Background in Commercial Business systems, such as Sales and Customer Support.
- Experience managing a full-time staff consisting of between 10 to 20 resources.
- Experience leading projects consisting of internal resources and contractors with team sizes exceeding 20 individuals.
- Experience selecting, and managing, contractor/consulting relationships.
- Understanding of custom built as well as COTS systems and technology.
- Deep team and project management skills, proven through past performance.
- Expert understanding of the theory and application of project management, estimating, forecasting, planning, scheduling and risk management concepts and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and anticipate changes in the business environment; proactively seek appropriate solutions to meet business demands.
- Ability to quickly grasp the differences, and similarities, between different businesses and regions.
- Ability to contribute to, as well as create, business cases for technology solutions.
- Ability to influence and suggest process improvements at all levels of the organization, often without direct authority over resources.
- Ability to supervise, motivate, and lead a professional staff.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others directly and/or through direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and/or motivate team members who may consist of cross-functional staffs.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with all organizational levels. Ability to prepare and conduct formal presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with technical and non-technical staffs, as well as with cross business/region staffs.
- Demonstrated ability to create, track, and manage a project plan and schedule from project initiation to project completion for moderate to complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage a project budget.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate complex, ambiguous business problems or technical issues and provide well thought out solutions.
- Ability to recognize and manage balance between competing needs and limited resources.
- An undergraduate degree is required; concentrations in Computer Science, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or Engineering are preferred.
- Minimum of eight - ten years related experience in a corporation of comparable size and complexity to GATX.
- Building Effective Teams
- Project Management
- System Development Lifecycle
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Analytical Skills
- Drive for Results
- Integrity and Trust
- Priority Setting
- Process Analysis and Design
- System and Process Improvement Methodologies
- Relationship Building
- Overtime when required by work schedules and workload.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Travel will be necessary as Projects/Business needs demand.
Consistent with our policy, the COVID-19 vaccine is now required for new hires.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.