Support the Director, Accounting Research, Planning & Policy and Controller in establishing the Company’s accounting policies and procedures, monitor changes to GAAP and provide support in the determination of appropriate accounting treatment for investments and other transactions. Support the overall team in interfacing with external auditors and regulators to ensure appropriate adoption of new accounting standards and requirements.
- Support the Director in creation and ongoing maintenance of the Company’s accounting and financial reporting policies and procedures in accordance with U.S. GAAP. Work closely with business unit and corporate departments to ensure accounting policies are effective.
- Support the policy team in technical accounting research and accounting memo authorship on various business matters including the preparation of technical accounting positions and interpretation of accounting policies for proposed transactions, strategic initiatives and complex accounting inquiries; Develop strong relationships with key stakeholders to understand specific facts and circumstances in determining the most appropriate accounting treatment.
- Support Accounting and Financial Reporting functions, ensuring the financial statements and disclosures are in conformity with U.S. GAAP.
- Contribute to the proactive monitoring and interpretation of new and proposed accounting standards, financial reporting and regulatory requirements to determine impact to the Company and aid in implementation efforts for relevant changes affecting the organization. Update Company policies, procedures as required, and participate in preparation and delivery of training materials as necessary.
- Represent GATX at the ELFA and Railcar Leasing coalition, and other industry groups as deemed appropriate, with respect to accounting matters.
- Perform annual and interim impairment assessments on various company asset groups and investments.
- Special projects as assigned by the Controller or Director related to accounting and financial reporting matters.
- Assist with Monthly Accounting and Reporting related to our Portfolio Management Segment as needed, including 1) the review of entries and reconciliations, 2) the compilation of the monthly reporting package, 3) the preparation of the statement of cash flows and 4) the preparation of key performance highlights.
- Provide technical accounting guidance to GATX’s businesses and other corporate departments related to individual transactions and provide appropriate accounting treatment. Document positions as appropriate.
- Monitor changes to U.S. GAAP and advise Company on potential impacts.
- Establish, implement and maintain accounting policies/procedures in accordance with GAAP, SEC rules and other authoritative guidance. Modify and update policies and procedures as required.
- Provide training to the GATX accounting organization as required to effectively implement accounting policies and procedures.
- Act as liaison between Controller’s Department and business groups as it relates to accounting for transactions and accounting policy matters.
- Collaborate with Financial Reporting in connection with accounting policies and related disclosures and footnotes as reported in the Company’s financial statements and SEC filings; assist with external audits as needed.
- Work with Operations and Finance on various asset and investment impairment assessments on an annual basis (or interim, as required).
- Work on special projects as directed by the Controller and/or Director.
Interaction: Briefly describe the level/type of contacts that will interact with the position.
- All levels within GATX including senior management, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis, Structured Finance, Fleet Portfolio Management, Operations. Additionally, close collaboration with Accounting, Financial Reporting, International entities, and Portfolio Management.
- External auditors.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance. CPA desired and MBA or Masters in Accounting, a plus.
- 6-10 years of relevant experience. Ideally a combination of Big 4 public accounting firm and multinational public company experience. Financial services/ leasing and some experience in interpreting and applying U.S. GAAP for complex transactions also desired.
- Expert knowledge in U.S. GAAP for various financial services products including, but not limited to, leases and leased equipment, loans, allowance for losses, equity investments, joint ventures, debt, stock, foreign currency-denominated transactions, consolidation, guarantees, warrants, and derivatives.
- Typical systems skills (Excel, Word, Power-point).
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Strong writing skills (documentation of accounting opinions; policies/procedures).
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Some extended hours during accounting close cycles; also, as needed to support transactions during deal closings; and to meet project deadlines.
- Minimal travel.
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Follow us on LinkedIn!