The Internal Audit Manager is responsible for leading, planning, and executing critical projects that support the overall strategy and mission of GATX Corporation’s global Internal Audit department. Projects and activities will focus on the following areas: Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance, risk assessments, business process design reviews, internal control training and awareness, internal control testing, fraud investigations, and data analysis. The candidate should have a demonstrated track record of managing projects and coaching junior staff, ability to develop and maintain business relationships, and the ability to provide pragmatic recommendations that add value to the organization. Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities against agreed timelines are also required.
This position will report directly to the Director of Internal Audit and will work closely with internal and external resources on key projects and initiatives. The successful candidate will need to work across the organization and be comfortable in engaging employees at all levels. This is a “hands on” role that also provides high visibility to senior management including representing the Internal Audit function in various company related activities.
1. Manage the organization’s compliance with the SOX requirements.
2. Assist with risk-based internal audit projects, including assessing the design and operational effectiveness of internal controls and testing compliance with laws and regulations across all business segments.
3. Keep abreast of industry issues and risk management/internal audit professional practices in order to proactively shape and continuously improve Internal Audit practices and procedures.
4. Partner with functional leadership and their staff in developing strong, professional and independent relationships to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the business to enable value added recommendations that improve efficiency and effectiveness.
5. Assist with execution of other tasks or special projects when required by management, such as risk assessments, due diligence reviews, fraud investigations, etc.
The Internal Audit Manager will develop strong partnerships with business leaders to support services provided to other departments across the globe, including Accounting/Finance, Business Segment Operational Leaders, Compliance and Information Technology. In addition, the Manager will also maintain a strong collaboration with the company’s external auditor to perform management’s SOX testing activities in an efficient manner.
• Combined minimum 6 years of external / internal audit experience, U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting requirements..
• Must possess a thorough understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance and Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Standards balanced with a demonstrated ability to understand key business drivers and issues having successfully implemented those principles in a complex global environment.
• Professional certification highly preferred (i.e., CPA, CIA).
• Must possess excellent project management skills with the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
• Prior experience managing high performing external and/or internal audit teams.
• Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to build effective partnerships across the organization at all levels.
• The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, energetic and possess a natural curiosity to learn. They will see this role as an opportunity to transform and modernize the internal audit activities globally, with opportunities to further their career within the company.
• Prior experience leading data-driven audit procedures, data analytics, and/or creating data visualization presentations is highly preferred.
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.