Manager, Quality Engineering
The person in this role understands the principles of product and service quality evaluation and control and has the knowledge and skills required to improve the processes that drive customer satisfaction and support process-improvement initiatives that can have network-wide impact for GATX Rail North America. The role facilitates and leads team efforts to establish and monitor customer complaints, support strategic process improvement planning and deployment initiatives, and help develop measurement systems to determine organizational improvement. One should be able to motivate and evaluate staff, manage projects, determine and evaluate risk, and employ knowledge management tools and techniques to resolve network-wide challenges.
- Manage the Opportunity for Improvement (OIR) Process (Customer Rejects), Time Spent: 35%
- Provide on-going training and support of the OIR process, such as:
- Guidance on OIR creation to Service Delivery
- Guidance on root cause analysis to investigators
- Finalizing reports
- Reviewing OIRs for completeness, timeliness and effectiveness
- Facilitating root cause investigations to gain support from key stakeholders for implementation of corrective actions
- Coordinating implementation of necessary process adjustments that may result from OIR recommended corrective actions, including creation/maintenance of procedures, instructions and forms.
- Analyzing the effectiveness of corrective actions based on OIR trends and recommend further data analysis or enhanced corrective actions from Operations, Commercial or Engineering
- Developing quality reporting mechanisms for status updates and for communication of results to key stakeholders
- Manage the Quality Management System (QMS), Time Spent: 30%
- Oversee the maintenance of the QMS, including Quality manual, procedures, instructions and forms
- Facilitate development or revision, review and approval of quality documents with process owner
- Interface with shop and corporate groups to implement new or enhanced processes and procedures
- Issue Quality Bulletins to communicate immediate changes in processes that are not yet documented in the QMS
- Liaise for researching, analyzing, and communicating on quality-related issues and process changes
- Analyze the effectiveness and compliance of the QMS at the shop level and recommend changes. This includes addressing gaps in the QMS as well as changes to make the system more effective to ensure efficient execution.
- Provide System, Data Analysis, Quality Metrics, and Industrial Engineering Support, Time Spent: 20%
- Own, design, and maintain the various systems utilized by the Quality Team (including, but not limited to: QA SharePoint site, Gauge Calibration System, PeopleSoft, ETQ, etc.)
- Analyze quality data and communicate quality metrics for the GATX shop network. Assess needs for the development of network CAPAs to monitor effectiveness of RC/CA to ensure continual quality improvement
- Partner with Continuous Improvement and Data Analytics to analyze/measure/communicate KPIs for Operations/Quality and support statistical data analysis for Operations optimization projects
- Supplier Quality Support, Time Spent: 15%
- Represent Quality on Supplier related items
- Support maintenance of approved supplier list
- Support resolution of supplier quality issues related to Supplier Nonconformance
- Support new supplier evaluation process
- Support onboarding of new suppliers for quality-related training on GATX procedures/systems/forms and coordinating system access with Corporate Sourcing
Education and/or Experience Required (including certifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial or Quality Engineering or other relevant engineering discipline required.
- 8-10 years quality, operations or manufacturing experience
- Effective leadership experiences in management or supervisory positions
- Proven experience in quality (AAR M-1003, ISO 9001, etc.) and project management
- Knowledge/experience using process improvement tools
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer preferred
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order. Select from “key competencies for job descriptions” list:
- Strong project management skills - highly organized with an ability to oversee multiple concurrent initiatives
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written
- Strong data analysis skills
- Strong computer system skills
- Extensive process mapping skills with an ability to quickly understand varied processes from end to end
- Proven process analysis skills - ability to quickly comprehend various business processes and to identify gaps/risks/improvement opportunities. Exhibit ability to identify issues and investigate/resolve underlying causes
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching and development skills.
Other: Travel may be required - up to 15%
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.