Arc welds ferrous and non-ferrous materials by use of electric arc process in all positions per AWS D 15.1. Performs repairs, changes, improvements and conversions to car parts and assembles such underframe, trucks, insulation jackets, etc. dismantles, repairs, installs and/or renews coils, valves and miscellaneous tank car fittings. Performs testing operations on rolling stock as required.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces, welds, burns, fits, tacks as necessary to complete repairs.
- Finishing weld by removing slag and grinding when necessary.
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by use of soapsuds and air, rechecking as necessary.
- Jacks car, remove, replace, disassemble, assemble trucks to repair or gain access to parts needing repair.
- Remove, replace, straighten, renew or replace various car parts such as couplers, gears, center sills, safety appliances, insulation, jackets, running boards, slabs as required to achieve proper repairs.
- Installs, tests, repairs renews interior or exterior coils, cradles, and brackets. Hydrostatic test of tank, inspects for leakage, repair and restests as required.
- Replace, repair defective piping as required.
- Sets up and operates bending, threading, and cutting equipment to shape and fabricate pipe for installation. Apply levers, rods and similar equipment that is installed in conjuction with car piping.
- Perform minor prevention maintenance on tools and equipment used.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Comply with the established safety policies, support-continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, work orders, and AAR Field Manual.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide two digit numbers.
- Ability to reason through and plan work details and procedures to obtain desired results.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions.
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods.
- Ability to safetly lift up to 51 lbs regularly and safely lift up to 85 lbs occasionly from the ground surface.
- Must be able to push/pull horizontally up to 140 lbs of force.
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments.
- Must be able to physically enter confined space and work in enclosed environments.