This position supports the railcar product engineering function for a group of railcar product codes. The incumbent is part of a team that delivers product specifications, work instructions, and support to procure, optimize and maintain a portfolio of railcar products that meet or exceed customer, GATX, and regulatory requirements. This position requires substantial experience in railcar engineering and proven ability to deliver impactful results with minimal supervision.
1.Execute railcar modification programs for a group of product codes
- Deliver feasibility and cost assessment in response to railcar modification inquiries
- Administer AAR approved design specifications to the repair network
- Lead or participate on cross functional teams in developing and administering complex railcar modifications
- Support a product routing process that delivers GATX and customer technical requirements to the service network
2.Support the ongoing development and administration of the GATX maintenance program for a group of railcar products
- Deliver first line technical support to the maintenance organization
- Utilize a cross functional approach in the creation and optimization of product based railcar maintenance instructions
- Investigate and address railcar performance issues as identified through reliability surveillance, quality metrics, and customer feedback
- Participate in or support mechanical / reliability analysis activities
- Develop fleet remediation programs and support execution
- Support cross-functional efforts to improve maintenance, such as best practice teamwork, standard work development, equipment and tooling standardization and the like.
3.Railcar product specifications and standards
- Administer GATX railcar component standards and monitor performance
- Participate in review of specifications and standards for new car orders
4.Railcar product support
- Support training initiatives
- Troubleshoot railcar or railcar component performance issues
- Respond to technical inquiries from shops
- Support customers’ product needs through inquiry response, troubleshooting, and on-site problem solving as needed.
- Bachelor degree in Manufacturing, Industrial, or Mechanical Engineering, or related technical field. 2+ years experience in railcar engineering is required.
- Must be computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft office suite products and / or related software.
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order. Select from “key competencies for job descriptions” list:
- Strong technical aptitude
- Well organized and detail oriented including effective time management ability
- Customer focused
- Effective written and verbal communicator.
- Strong people skills, ability to gain trust and confidence
- Results orientation. Passion to complete the task
- Ability to build strong strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Proven ability to deliver impactful results under minimal supervision.
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
- Moderate travel as necessary to visit repair facilities, customers and attend industry meetings, up to 20%.
- Must be physically able to climb on equipment within a maintenance facility, stand on feet for extended periods in a plant environment.
Consistent with our policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.