This position is responsible for performing general accounting functions for the Accounting Policy group. This includes support for the research and evaluation of new accounting pronouncements, research and development of internal accounting policies, technical whitepapers, and ad hoc projects as requested by the CAO and Director.
Provide technical accounting guidance and analysis in support of proposed transactions to ensure conformity with GATX policies and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review and analyze terms of proposed transaction.
- Identify and research technical accounting issues.
- Prepare analysis of accounting results based on forecasted economics.
- Document conclusions for consideration by management.
Support Accounting Policy group in establishing and maintaining GATX accounting and financial reporting policies and procedures.
- Provide support to business groups as it relates to interpretation and application of accounting policy matters.
- Assist in the development and drafting of new policies and revision of existing policies addressing GATX accounting treatment and procedures.
- Perform and document recurring accounting evaluations (e.g. impairment analyses, hedge effectiveness).
Assist Accounting Policy group in monitoring proposed and enacted changes to accounting and financial reporting standards.
- Advise management of important developments and potential impact to GATX businesses as appropriate.
- Assist in providing training to accounting personnel as required.
Assist with Monthly Accounting and Reporting
- Perform monthly close procedures, including recording of journal entries and reconciliations for the Portfolio Management segment.
- Own the preparation and issuance of the monthly reporting package including monthly variance analysis explaining fluctuations of income statement and balance sheet accounts, preparation of key performance highlights and statement of cash flows.
- Prepare quarterly and annual supporting schedules as required for financial reporting department in accordance with 10-Q and 10-K disclosure requirements
- Assist with internal and external audit requests.
- Be the primary point of contacts with departments across the organization for recording of transactions in the Portfolio Management segment
- Assist in maintaining an effective control environment by executing controls to ensure compliance with established accounting policies
Special projects as assigned by the Controller or Director of Accounting Policy related to accounting and financial reporting matters.
Scope of Work:
- Provide technical accounting guidance to GATX’s businesses and other corporate departments related to individual transactions and provide appropriate accounting treatment. Document positions as appropriate.
- Monitor changes to U.S. GAAP and advise Company on potential impacts.
- Establish, implement and maintain accounting policies/procedures in accordance with GAAP, SEC rules and other authoritative guidance. Modify and update policies and procedures as required.
- Provide training to the GATX accounting organization as required to effectively implement accounting policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with Financial Reporting in connection with accounting policies and related disclosures and footnotes as reported in the Company’s financial statements and SEC filings; assist with external audits as needed.
- Work with Operations and Finance on various asset and investment impairment assessments on an annual basis (or interim, as required).
- Work on special projects as directed by the Controller and/or Director.
- Various Departments – various levels throughout the organization (primarily peers and managers)
- Financial Reporting
- Tax Department
- Treasury Department
- IT Department
- Legal Department
- Human Resources Department
- External and Internal Auditors
- Ensure transactions are in compliance with GAAP and/or GATX policy
- Supporting documents are accurate
- Escalation of accounting issues to manager with solution recommendation
Consistent with our policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.