The Sr Fleet Portfolio Analyst role supports the Locomotive Group within the North American Rail business segment. GATX owns a fleet of nearly 570 EMD locomotives ranging from 600HP to 3800HP. We buy, sell, trade, lease and maintain locomotives for a variety of railroads and industries across varied commodities. This position is an opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and includes responsibilities associated with financial planning and analysis, strategic decision making for investments, and analysis and reporting for fleet management. This individual is expected to perform a large volume of analytic analysis, and demonstrate a willingness and ability to manage projects in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Sales to manage upcoming assignments and renewals.
- Manage the overall assignment process and respond/quote locomotive inquires for lease activity.
- Communicate target rates and ensure economic feasibility of negotiated deals.
- Work with Sales, Operations and the Legal departments as needed to enforce the end-of-lease contractual provisions pertaining to locomotive condition and cost responsibility.
- Review monthly sales activity report and report key/significant activity-based renewals, releases, and assignments and make improvement recommendations as needed.
- Update and maintain queries to report fleet utilization and the roll-forward of fleet activity from the prior period including fleet additions, disposals, renewals, assignments and releases.
- Develop tactics to optimize existing fleet availability based on projected demand, probable releases and current idle cars.
- On a timely basis, make economic decisions with respect to locomotive repairs and improvement order requests.
- Liaison between internal groups to coordinate pricing analyses for investment and lease activity.
- Develop pricing guidelines for various locomotive models.
- Review and maintain product code hierarchy for locomotives.
- Track investments authorized under N. American Fleet approval.
- Collaborate with other cross-functional Teams on monthly reporting tools.
Pricing and Finance:
- Prepare key metrics, analysis and supporting information for budget and forecast presentations to management.
- Develop pricing guidelines for renewals and assignments, and remarketing assumptions to guide investment.
- Draft documentation for internal approvals for larger investment transactions.
- Review monthly P&L and balance sheet variance analysis.
- Assist in various aspects of the annual budget process including obtaining assumptions, populating budget templates and analyzing results.
Interaction: This position will interact with the Locomotive Group management, staff, customers (all levels of personnel), as well as professional staff from Legal, Finance, Tax, Treasury and Risk Management.
Education and/or Experience Required:
- Degree in business, finance or accounting is preferred
- 3-7 yrs. experience managing projects or handling complex administrative duties
- Analytical skills and advanced Excel skills.
- An understanding of investment analysis, including net present value/project valuation.
- Team player; the ability to function within a small group where everyone works together towards common goals, and a willingness to handle small as well as large responsibilities to achieve those goals.
- Ability to handle complex responsibilities and multi-task with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate financial and pricing concepts to non-finance personnel.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Consistent with GATX policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and if eligible per CDC guidance to receive a COVID-19 booster shot, subject to accommodation.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.