The Tax Accountant (TA), Indirect Tax, is responsible for analyzing and preparing Sales Tax returns for all US Companies, Canadian: Employment returns, and Payroll Tax deposits. This individual will also assist the Sr. Manager, Indirect Tax in providing assistance on audits, various projects, and communication with customers as necessary. This is a HYBRID role.
- Prepare State and local sales tax returns for multiple GATX companies subject to the review of the Sr. Manager, Indirect Tax. This responsibility includes researching tax laws and cases, assembling and analyzing data used in the return preparation process.
- Review all IT invoices (software licenses, updates, etc.) as it relates to the Chicago Transaction Tax, determining the taxability of each invoice and providing guidance to the AP department.
- Research various sales tax issues and communicate findings to appropriate party; including preparing exemption certificates.
- Prepare and review Sales tax accrual amounts on a quarterly basis.
- Prepare the payroll tax deposits and employment taxes for Canada. Research and analyze data used in the return preparation process, and reconciliation of the tax accounts on a quarterly basis.
- Plan for ways to minimize sales & use taxes, identify tax saving opportunities; review state and local tax legislation. Perform tax research and prepare tax memoranda in connection with such planning
- Various special project work. Project work includes all areas of tax and varies from month to month.
Education and/or Experience Required :
- Bachelor’s Degree required in Accounting or Finance
- 1-2 years Sales Tax experience is preferred.
- Payroll tax experience a plus
- Proficiency in multiple PC applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Power BI, SAP and Vertex experience a plus.
- Strong analytical skills
- Self-starter with good problem solving skills
- Ability to be self-sufficient, proactive, and to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple assignments and meet timely deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Willingness/availability to work overtime as required.
Travel will be required including travel for education. Travel should not exceed 20%
Consistent with our policy, all new hires are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted.
GATX embraces diversity, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.